Not a lot of people know this, but natural honey has a very poisonous toxin known as pyrrolizidine alkaloids. It has to go through a pasteurization process right after being farmed, so it can eliminate these toxins. That’s why unpasteurized honey is really dangerous.
Eating just a small teaspoon of unpasteurized honey can instantly lead to headaches, dizziness, weakness, and vomiting that could last as much as 24 hours. It is very possible for one teaspoon to kill you either.
If you eat regular potatoes at the wrong time, it can be extremely dangerous. The leaves, the stem, and the sprouts of potatoes have glycoalkaloids, which is a poison found in flowering plants known as nightshades, a category that includes potatoes too.
If you leave a potato in very poor conditions (whether it’s too moist, too bright, or you just let them sit out for way too long), it will start to sprout. It’s highly suggested to throw those potatoes away, even if you considered cutting off the shoots, as the poison might be already in the potato if too much time has passed.
Scientists say that a 100-pound person will only need 16 ounces of a sprouted potato to get ill, which is the equivalent of one baked potato.
When you see somewhere “raw cashews”, remember that they are lying to you. These “raw” cashews have been steamed already, to remove a certain chemical known as urushiol, which can also be found in poison ivy. Consuming raw cashews can be fatal, especially for people who are allergic to poison ivy.
If you ever come across cashews in nature for whatever reason, the last thing you wanna do is eat them! Of course, it depends entirely on your sensitivity to poison ivy, as a handful of raw cashews can turn out to be extremely dangerous to the average person.
Red Kidney Beans
Eating raw foods is seen as healthy, but there could be some bad consequences that might occur when eating raw beans. Red kidney beans are rich in toxins called lectins, which basically are capable of killing the cells in your stomach.
The only way to enjoy red kidney beans without this extremely harmful toxin is to prepare them the right way: soak the beans in water for a minimum of five hours before consumption. Otherwise, eating as little as half of cup of raw red kidney beans can seriously harm your health.
Beware, as red kidney beans aren’t the only beans that are dangerous out there! Your friendly neighborhood lima bean is not that friendly, given that it contains a special compound called linamarin, which can turn into hydrogen cyanide.
Of course, you would have to eat plenty of beans to get sick, but like many other items on this list, as long as you cook and drain them thoroughly, it should be all good.